From the Archive
December WAT Trial & January Action Dates Announced
They are artists of torture,
They are artists of pain and fatigue,
They are artists of insults and humiliation.
Where is the world to save us from torture?
Where is the world to save us from the fire and sadness?
Where is the world to save the hunger strikers?
-Adnan Latif (found dead in his cell, Sept. 8, 2012)
JANUARY 6-13 – FAST FOR JUSTICE
Our community will gather in Washington DC from January 6-13 to engage in an 8 day, liquid only fast. We invite folks to join us for a day, for the duration, in DC, or at home.
Let us know if you can come, or if you plan to join us in fasting. For those participating from afar, we will have resources available, daily updates, and two conference calls with the fasting community in DC. For those in DC, we will provide housing from Jan. 5-14.
In addition to the fast, we will be engaging in daily activities to highlight the ongoing crimes of Guantanamo, Bagram, indefinite detention, drones, and lack of accountability for torture.
- e-mail email@example.com to sign up to come to DC in January
- there will be a conference call the week of Dec. 16th for those coming to DC
JANUARY 11 DAY OF ACTION AGAINST GUANTANAMO
JOIN THE MARCH IN WASHINGTON DC
Saturday, January 11, 2013 – time TBA
- Vigil at and March from the White House
- more details coming soon
WITNESS AGAINST TORTURE ON TRIAL
Five friends will go on trial Monday, Dec 9th in Superior Court in Washington DC. Please join us to support them as they attempt to put Guantanamo on trial.
In response to the Hunger Strike at Guantanamo, WAT has organized a rolling fast which will continue until January. We are so grateful to the over 200 people who have been so committed to the rolling fast these last few months, and welcome anyone who would like to join the fast in December and beyond! Please take a look at the December rolling fast calendar and consider participating. After choosing when you would like to fast, please email the date/s to firstname.lastname@example.org
WITNESS AGAINST TORTURE SOCIAL MEDIA
Witness Against Torture is completely volunteer driven and run. We have no paid staff, but do have expenses associated with our organizing work. If you are able, please donate here.
- Close Guantánamo: all detained people must either be charged & fairly tried, or be released
- Resolve the cases of the publicly cleared detainees, including Shaker Aamer & Djamel Ameziane
- End indefinite detention & remove detention provisions in the National Defense Authorization Act
- End unlawful killings with drones and other weapons
- Ensure accountability for torture, unlawful killings & other abuses